Monday 27 May 2019

Plugin Vendors

This is bit of a rant, but I will try to be polite.

I have noticed in a number of developer forums that certain people seem to treat them as a sales market for their own products.

I have no problem with people touting their stuff, hell, we all do it. However, when I post on a forum that I am not interested in plugins, or I have created a piece of code so that I do not need plugins, I do find it frustrating when vendors say “My plugin can do that” or “You can achieve the same thing with XXX plugin”.

I know that some people rely on plugins, and the vendors of these plugins have to make a living, but, for the record, unless I explicitly state “I am looking for a plugin for XXX”, then please assume that I do not want to hear about your plugin.

There are reasons why I do not use them:

  1. I am on a very tight budget and cannot afford them
  2. I enjoy tinkering with code and seeing what I can get XXX language to do
  3. I am a programmer… if I need a plugin, I will bloody well write it myself

No comments:

Post a Comment