Saturday 1 February 2014

Crash Course In Objective-C

Due to Apple’s policies throwing Xojo, inc a curve, I have decided that in order to get some of the smaller applications out I should rewrite them in Objective-C.
I didn’t realise what a steep learning curve this could present.
I have recently released Image Slicer on the App Store, completely rewritten using Apples tools, rather than Xojo. It didn’t take as long as I thought it might, but it was still a challenge, particularly as I have only dabbled with Objective-C before, not really creating anything useful.
The crash course began on Saturday, 25 January, and I was able to submit the initial binary by Monday evening. Unfortunately, I was a bit overzealous with the sandboxing allowances, so it was rejected a couple of days later. But a quick update (and a few other tweaks), and it was submitted again on Wednesday. Two days later, I got the approval email from Apple.
Although this has proven to me that I CAN used Objective-C for my Mac applications, I will probably go back to Xojo after Xojo, inc have addressed the issue preventing apps created in it being accepted by Apple for the App Store, so that I will be able to offer Windows versions as well as Mac versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment